What is Accoya?
If you are planning a home renovation project, an extension or complete new-build, Accoya is something you will definitely want to consider. Accoya is a modified wood created from sustainably sourced FSC and PEFCTM certified woods. It is one of the world's leading high technology woods, manufactured using a non-toxic treatment. It is ideal for doors, windows, joinery, decking and cladding.
Accoya is manufactured from softwood which has undergone acetylation - similar to the effect of putting wood into vinegar. This process turns the wood from a softwood into a hardwood and makes it more stable and durable.
Why Use Accoya For Your Doors & Windows?
When thinking about the best materials for your home, there are many factors to take into consideration including durability, and long term maintenance costs. So what are the benefits of Accoya wood over other traditional timbers?
Benefits of Accoya Wood
- Guaranteed for 50 years above ground and 25 years in ground/freshwater.
- Virtually rot proof and indigestible to many insects.
- Improved stability means shrinkage and swelling are reduced by at least 75% and your doors & windows will open effortlessly all year round.
- Ideal for painting/coating. The improved stability ensures coatings last twice as long compared to other woods.
- The softwood timber takes 25 years to grow but once modified, has been given a 70 year minimum service life stated by TRADA. It is classified as a net CO2 absorber and a green building material.
- Compared to other options - hardwood or plastics - Accoya is an environmentally, sustainable, renewable green choice with a low, if not negative carbon footprint.
- Significantly reduced maintenance costs.
- High strength.
If your budget will allow, Accoya wood is certainly the best option for your windows and external doors. Although more expensive than other traditional hardwood or plastic options, it is the best choice by far for long-term economy with low maintenance costs and durability.
Ironmongery for Accoya Wood
When choosing ironmongery for your Accoya wood doors and windows, you will need to ensure that the products are compatible. Accoya wood is acidic. Fitting the wrong type of ironmongery can result in metal corrosion and damage.
Stonebridge Ironmongery has been certified the best in industry for its patented Armor-Coat™ finishes. No other steel product on the market is more corrosion resistant. All products come with a 5 year guarantee.
Stonebridge Ironmongery is the durable choice for today's homes. A range of stunning hand forged designs are available in a choice of satin steel or flat black colours.